Savorish Issue 1

If you want to purchase a copy of our magazine.....

Savorish

By LASA EZINE

44 pages, published 13 DEC 2011

A magazine made by freshmen at the Liberal Arts and Science Academy about restaurants, recipes, and all things food-related in Austin, TX.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Pessimist's View on Life, the Economy and Blue Bamboo Viet-Thai Grill

by Culinary Queen

After eating Chinese food swimming in seas of grease, and rubbery “Thai” chicken, I was quite skeptical when we ordered takeout from the Blue Bamboo Viet-Thai Grill. To be honest, I was expecting an experience identical to my previous ones: oily noodles, tasteless chicken and undercooked rice. Feel free to call me a pessimist.


My opinions changed once the food was sitting on the kitchen counter. Slightly. The thing is, the food smelled good. Still, I refused to get excited. After all, good smells could mean one of two things:

  1. The dished had been fried and greased and oiled to appeal to the primal part of all of us which is hardwired to enjoy oil and sugar.
-OR-
  1. The food was actually tasty.
I hadn’t actually decided which option I was going with as I plopped an appetizer on my plate. Looking at the pieces of well-marinated chicken on a skewer, I couldn’t find any faults in its appearance. I bit into it and my pessimism receded quite a bit. The dish is called the Satay and it is amazing.
Doesn't that look good?

          Photo by Culinary Queen

I was looking forward to the entree with a more the-glass-is-half-full, every-cloud-has-a-sliver-lining sort of attitude. Good choice too, because my Thai-Basil Chicken was just as good as the appetizer.

If you’re a stickler for facts and need to know exactly what is in your food before you eat it, here they are. The menu describes it as “stir-fried chicken with veggies and spices”. The veggies include carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, and onions; small pieces of chicken are mixed in. The dish comes with steamed rice. Thai-Basil Chicken is a definite recommendation on my part.

My brother, the idealist vegetarian, ordered Spring Noodles (minus the tofu) which I thought were the best of all. Very simple: just egg noodles and veggies (tofu if you’re adventurous) but is very tasty. Be warned though, if you are one of those people who is revolted by even a slight taste of oil, I would not get this dish. That being said, there was not an excessive amount of oil; I would say there was less oil/grease content in the food from Blue Bamboo as compared to other Asian restaurants.
Spring Noodles: Notice the bell peppers and broccoli
                
                Photo by Culinary Queen 


By the time our plates had been emptied, I wasn’t a complete optimist in the area of Asian food, but it would be safe to say that my opinions had changed quite a bit. Thank you, Blue Bamboo.
You can find the complete menu here.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds really good! I really liked the way that you reviewed this instead of just saying that you thought it was really good, because... Also the pictures made it look really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I think I need to order some takeout now. Your photos, too, definitely add to your credibility as a reviewer -- nice touch.

    ReplyDelete