Savorish Issue 1

If you want to purchase a copy of our magazine.....

Savorish

By LASA EZINE

44 pages, published 13 DEC 2011

A magazine made by freshmen at the Liberal Arts and Science Academy about restaurants, recipes, and all things food-related in Austin, TX.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Genetically Modified Foods: Leads

Here are some the leads that I've tried out for my opinion piece on the pros of researching into genetically modified foods (GM foods). Any criticism is appreciated (but keep in mind that I am often compelled to go cry in a corner after being bashed on too much).


Descriptive:

“We will not be able to stop this technology,” USDA secretary Dan Glickman says. “Science will march forward.” Pandora’s box has been opened. No amount of protesting or violence will be able to stop progression into poverty, and no amount of resistance will be able to inhibit our advancement into genetic research. Though genetically engineered foods may cause some problems that we have not yet managed before, after careful research and labelling, genetically modified foods will be able to solve global malnutrition and hunger issues as well as advance our research into genetic and medicinal sciences.

Startling Statement/Question:
Why do we allow for over 16,000 innocent, beautiful children to die from hunger-related causes each day? How can we live down the fact that a family will mourn for the loss of a child every five seconds? In 2008, nearly 3 million children died before they reached their fifth birthday due to causes related directly or indirectly to hunger and malnutrition. Though we have not yet ventured deeply into the research of genetically modified foods, this may pose a solution to our global malnutrition and hunger problems and advance our knowledge of genetic and medicinal sciences.

Narrative/Descriptive:

It is a bone-chilling sight. Children stumble into the marketplace, caked in mud and rags, hoping for a flicker of kindness, or a meal. They are orphaned at a young age, due to wars, economic factors, disease and poverty and their future looks bleak. However, their frantic minds are occupied only with the thought of food and their noses are clogged with the imaginary smell of it. Nearly one third of children in Sub-Saharan Africa are underweight. Lack of food is the primary cause, leading to malnutrition, vitamin deficiency and starvation. Research into engineered foods can present an effective and feasible solution to our current issues of malnutrition and starvation in third world countries.

Thanks
Lily

7 comments:

  1. All 3 of yours are so, so good. Every one of them inspires extreme pathos and makes me feel that I am actually going against GM foods in my piece. I like Startling Statement/Question the best though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of them were too good >.<, it was really hard deciding which one hooked me on the best, but eventually I decided that number 3 was the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really descriptive! Good job explaining what you're arguing about. I personally like the first one the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all three but 2 gets me sad and wanting to read more and try to benefit in helping the kids also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the last one the best. I think that really describing the children's situation in detail will hit people's emotions and will be a great lead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of these were really really good! You should join newspaper :) I think that the last one was really good! I liked the description in it! I thought that it was really good imagery and that it was really shocking. It's a really great lead! I can't wait to read your article :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think having two different papers taking different sides on the same issue makes a ton of sense. But I like the last one best because it makes your heart reach out. Also this isn't very relevant to your magazine.
    ~Jiyoon

    ReplyDelete