Savorish Issue 1

If you want to purchase a copy of our magazine.....

Savorish

By LASA EZINE

44 pages, published 13 DEC 2011

A magazine made by freshmen at the Liberal Arts and Science Academy about restaurants, recipes, and all things food-related in Austin, TX.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Why You No Eat at Asia Cafe?

Please excuse the pathetic photography; photo credit to me.

Tofu and sea food. Yum.







Here goes another rant of mine, this time centering on the local Asia Cafe.

A few years ago, this restaurant started off at the back of an Asian grocery market, mostly invaded by elderly Asian parents shopping at the market for their weekly dose of tofu. Well now, it's still filled with plenty of people, but there is much more diversity, and a much nicer setting. The owner of the restaurant was a single mother, who had come to the United States with just enough money to start a little home-run business shipping Asian foods. My mother knew her (as all of the Asians in Austin seem to have a magical telepathic social connection to each other).

When our family used to live in Spicewood, and when there used to be an H-E-B and an Albertson's nearby the store, my parents would stop by after buying some groceries for dinner. They have pretty good authentic Asian food, which is actually quite hard to find nowadays. I believe they opened up another location, but we've never gone there.

So, after taking boring math tests during the weekends, my dad will sometimes go pick up some dinner while I sit there struggling with trying to remember how to find the derivatives of trigonometric functions. And it's really nice having something to look forward to. This last weekend, my dad ordered the Spicy Fish dish (excuse me, but this is what you get when you ask me to translate things) and the tofu with seafood. Warning: unless you are absolutely confident that you can handle spicy food (which I still am not quite accustomed to, even after years of conditioning), you will still need some water to eat the fish. It's some crazy stuff.

More food. This time, it's spicy.

Photo credit to me.







These are shrimp and leek dumplings. You should try them.

Photo credit to Lily.






So it goes.

(Having just finished my Vonnegut novel, I'm sorry I could not resist.)

Thanks
Lily

2 comments:

  1. Don't you want milk instead of water if you eat spicy food...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHMYGOD. It's so true! All the asian moms know ALL of the others! And they act like they've known each other for years!

    ReplyDelete