Savorish Issue 1

If you want to purchase a copy of our magazine.....

Savorish

By LASA EZINE

44 pages, published 13 DEC 2011

A magazine made by freshmen at the Liberal Arts and Science Academy about restaurants, recipes, and all things food-related in Austin, TX.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Opinion Leads: Genetically Modified Foods Con

Which lead do you prefer? Let me know in the comments! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

-Culinary Queen

Lead 1: Question/Direct Address
Have you every paused to think about the make-up of your apples? Probably not. So think about it now: the apples you bought could have easily been genetically modified to contain pesticides in their flesh; pesticides which you in turn ingested. It could have introduced a new allergen to your system; in fact, it may have already done so. Public knowledge about genetically modified foods is so limited that people do not realize how scary it is to eat them. So, though genetically modified foods might have the potential to mitigate global issues like world hunger, they have more negative repercussions, including insects becoming resistant to pesticides, introduction of new allergens to humans and they are not properly labeled.

Lead 2: Startling Statement

“...You can’t fool around with nature without a chain reaction that could get out of control,” said Charles Tanguay, the head of a consumer’s rights organization in Quebec. And he is right- despite scientists’ assurances, we really don’t know what might happen when we mess with the genes of our food. So, though genetically modified foods claim to have the potential to mitigate global issues like world hunger, they have more negative repercussions, including insects becoming resistant to pesticides, introduction of new allergens to humans and they are not properly labeled.

Lead 3: Twist

All my life I have been conditioned to help those who are not as fortunate as me. So, logically, I should be in complete support of genetically modified foods, right? After all, they can be mass-produced so quickly and distributed to hungry children; that’s good, right? Wrong. Is it good if all the hungry children develop an allergy to the foods we are feeding them? Is it good if the insect-resistant crops we are cultivating make the insects pesticide-resistant? So, though genetically modified foods might have the potential to mitigate global issues like world hunger, they have more negative repercussions, including insects becoming resistant to pesticides, introduction of new allergens to humans and they are not properly labeled.

10 comments:

  1. I liked the last lead a lot, mostly because it feels like you have good reason to believe that the GM foods are good, but an even stronger reason to believe that they are detrimental. I also think that the quote from Tanguay is a very good quote, which you should probably incorporate somewhere else into your essay. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked number 1 the best. Number 2 was boring... no other way to put it o-o... Number 3 seemed a little bit philosophical, and confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second one is great, and the third one would work also, I wouldn't do the first one though. I don't think that it really works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the second one its the best out of the three in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ingested=ingest or digest
    3 ws bttr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the third one. It drew me in at the first sentence. I think it's the best. BTW, i think it would be best to kind of change up the last sentence to keep the leads from being repeated. Just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like number two! I thought that the use of the quote really draws you in and that it gets you interested because it doesn't give away too much information. Now I really want to read your article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the stance you take on this and the last one is very convincing by getting into our heads. But I can't really see how this has anything to do with your magazine, since you focus on local eateries, and not worldwide crisis' like food modifying...
    ~Jiyoon

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first one, but I think you should try following it somehow with the quote in the second one since it also makes a good point.

    ReplyDelete